Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Look At Our Usual Schedule

It's a busy life here at Montgomery Academy/Simple Life. Well, not necessarily busy exactly, but we've got people coming and going for much of the day, and some wee ones that make sure that our schedules remain "flexible."

5:45 am I get up. If I don't get up by 5:45, then I don't get a shower, and if I don't get a shower, then I have a hard time waking up, and then the whole day is thrown off. I take a shower, unload the dishwasher, do the rest of my morning routine, etc.

6:30 Wiggles (almost 4 year old boy) arrives. He plays while I read or finish up morning chores, etc.

7:15 Little Boy (18 month old) arrives. He eats breakfast, gets a diaper change and plays.
My kids (Flower - 10 year old girl, Jelly Bean - 8 year old girl, and Super - 5 year old boy) wake up around this time.

8:15 Belle (6 week old girl) arrives. She just started on Monday. She usually gets a diaper change, eats, and goes back down for a couple hours.

Sweetie (almost 4 year old girl) usually arrives around this time too.

8:45 My sister/co-teacher arrives with her kids Scooter (10 year old boy), Helper (8 year old boy) and Smiley (17 month old girl) arrive.

9:00 Princess (4.5 year old girl) arrives. And then on MWF, Spunky (3 year old girl) arrives or on T/Th, Lollipop (3 year old girl arrives)

For those of you who might have lost count, here's a breakdown of who is here by 9 am.

1 six week old girl
2 toddlers - a 17 month old girl and an 18 month old boy
5 preschoolers - three 3 year olds, one 4 year old, and one 5 year old
4 school age kids - two 8 year olds and two 10 year olds.
2 adults


9:00 - 9:15 Preschoolers work on their journals while the homeschoolers work on reading. Toddlers playing.

9:15-9:30 Preschoolers have morning snack. Homeschoolers continue reading.

9:30 - 9:45 Preschoolers read/potty break. Homeschoolers start their table work (history, spelling, writing, grammar. My sister, Lisa, teaches the homeschoolers and watches the toddlers.

9:45 - 11:15 Homeschoolers doing table work and toddlers playing upstairs. Toddler Boy starts napping around 10:45.

9:45 - 11:15 Preschoolers downstairs. We do circle time, then helper jobs, then story time, then work time, then goodbye circle time. Belle is downstairs sleeping, eating, getting changed, etc - newborn baby stuff.

11:15- 12:00 Lunch, and weather permitting, outside time for homeschoolers and preschoolers.

Then at 12:00, we have some preschoolers leave. Monday-Friday, Super leaves for afternoon Pre-K. On MWF, Spunky leaves. On T/Th, Lollipop and Wiggles leave.

12:00 - 1:00 Then other preschoolers usually read or do something quiet for an hour. Homeschoolers do some sort of physical activity.

1:00 - 2:00 Little Boy wakes up at 1:00. Preschoolers lay down or nap. Smiley goes down for a nap. My sister is watching the Little Boy and Belle upstairs. Little Boy is playing. Belle is upstairs sleeping, eating, getting changed, etc - newborn baby stuff.

1:00 - 3:00 I'm teaching the homeschoolers downstairs.

2:00 Preschoolers wake up and play.

Starting at 2:30, people start leaving again.

2:30 Wiggles leaves.

3:00 Super comes home.

3:15 My sister, Scooter, Helper, and Smiley leave.

3:30 Princess and Sweetie leave.


For those of you who might have lost track, by 3:30, there are:

- 1 Adult (me)
- My kids (Super - age 5, Jelly Bean - age 8, and Flower - age 10)
- Little Boy (age 18 months)
- Belle (age 6 weeks)


From 3:30 to 5 pm, we just have general playing and hanging out and I try to fix dinner.

5:00 Little Boy leaves

5:15 Belle leaves.

5:30 We sit down for dinner.

I try and get the kids into bed by 7:30, and I try to get in bed by 10.

And then it starts again . . . .

No comments: